Take your class on a holiday journey around the world, all while focusing on reading comprehension and opinion writing skills for Common Core.
Students get their own suitcase, passport, map, and travel guide book as they “travel” to learn about how holidays are celebrated around the world.
They can do a Close Reading of up to 10 different countries/continents, and then complete an opinion writing assignment to this prompt:
“In your opinion, in which part of the world would you most like to visit to celebrate the holidays?”
This resource includes:
- A Holidays Around the World suitcase to keep all of their work in
- A Passport with a cover, personal info and photo I.D. page, and pages for stamps
- Passport stamps to be earned for each place they visit
- A Travel Map for students to create a key of the places they visit
- A “Travel Guide Book” with Close Reading passages on how 10 different countries/continents celebrate the holidays (single space to save paper, or double spaced to leave room for annotating)
- Pre-writing tools for brainstorming, outlining, rough drafts, and editing/revising
- Final Draft writing stationary for each country/continent (students use the writing paper for the place they choose as their favorite). Paper comes with primary dotted lines or regular lines.
- A digital Google Slides version
Here’s what teachers are saying about this Holidays Around the World resource:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “We used this in December to learn about the holidays and it was great! The students were excited each day to read about a new culture’s celebration, especially having students with diverse backgrounds they were excited to share their own stories.” -Jessica S.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “This was PERFECT for close reading the couple weeks before Winter Break. The kids were always excited to see where we were traveling to next!” -Erin M.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “This resource was exactly what I was looking for! My kiddos have enjoyed ‘traveling’ to each country and getting a stamp in their passport! Everything in this resource was creative, comprehensive, and well-made! This has definitely made the weeks leading up to Christmas break so much fun!” -Susan P.
Hope your students enjoy this educational trip around the world!
You might also like these other resources for opinion writing: