Looking for meaningful classroom community activities to go with all four books by Shannon Olsen? These book companions for Our Class is a Family, Our School is a Family, A Letter From Your Teacher on the First Day of School, and A Letter From Your Teacher on the Last Day of School are resources that have been created by the author of the books!
These book companions align closely with the texts, incorporating reading and writing skills while helping to foster classroom community and positive relationships in the classroom.
***This bundle has all of the activities from the original Classroom Community- Our Class is a Family & A Letter From Your Teacher Bundle, PLUS the brand new Class Family Friday/Class Family Fun Day resource (a whole school year’s worth of weekly community-building Morning Meeting slides).
The bundle includes activities to help build a strong foundation at the beginning of the year, as well as ones to help students reflect on their class family’s memories at the end of the school year.
Book Companion activities for A Letter From Your Teacher on the First Day of School:
- A Letter To My Teacher – a back to school classroom community activity to build a positive teacher to student connection during back to school
- A Letter To My Teacher for Beginning Writers – adapted version of the back to school activity with sentence frames for students who need additional writing support
Book Companion activities for Our Class is a Family:
- Class Family Album – collective classroom community project that can be utilized throughout the entire school year
- Class Family bookmarks – great for gifts, prize incentives, etc.
Book Companion activities for Our School is a Family:
- School Family Directory – activity to familiarize students with the various staff members at your school
- School Family Directory for Beginning Writers – adapted version of the original School Family Directory, with options for letter tracing and fill in the blank
Book Companion activities for A Letter From Your Teacher on the Last Day of School:
- Class Family End of the Year Memory Book – an end of the year memory book keepsake for each student to create at the end of the school year
- Last Day of School Mailbox Activity – a whole class end of the year activity with a special keepsake to take home on the last day
Weekly activity that aligns with Our Class is a Family and both A Letter From Your Teacher books:
- – Morning Meeting slides that can be used with your class every week for the whole school year. It has a focus in building classroom community, positive student relationships, and social emotional learning.
To see what is included with each of these classroom community resources, please see the Preview.
Teachers LOVE using these books and book companion activities to build community.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “I absolutely love these books. Our Class is a Family and the first Letter From Your Teacher set the tone for the year, and now there is Letter From Your Teacher for the end!! It’s especially meaningful this year because I’m changing schools. Thank you for such wonderful resources.” – Kimberly P.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “My students loved this book and activities. I used it the first day and they were excited to write a letter to me about something they really wanted me to know. I told them the letter was for my eyes and I was suprised how many admitted they are worried about being back in school. They also had a chance to share with the class one thing about themselves.” – Rene B., on A Letter From Your Teacher Activity
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “I loved this resource as a community building activity. We started the book at the beginning of the year and are adding to it as we go. I planned to make a copy for each student as they expressed that they love it and each want one.” Julie T., on Our Class is a Family Activity