This book companion can be used as an extension activity after reading aloud A Letter From Your Teacher: On the First Day of School by Shannon Olsen. It is a booklet of writing prompts (or a “letter”) for students to write in response to their teacher after listening to the story. The pages can be copied and stapled together in a packet, or however you might choose to bind them. You can use all of the pages provided, or just pick and choose specific ones you want to include.
This resource comes with:
-2 book cover options (boy and girl)
-Greeting page with space for an illustration of student and teacher
-Multiple pages of “get to know you” writing prompts that connect with the book, with spaces for students to illustrate. Please see the preview tab to view these pages.
- Greeting page
- “There are a few important things I’d like for you to know…”
- “All the things that make me ME!”
- “You’ll get to meet my family”
- “I will celebrate with you when I have exciting news…”
- “I’ll greet you every morning!”
- “I want to set high goals”
- “Learning isn’t just about the schoolwork that I do…”
- Closing page
-Writing page templates, in case you would like to have students write an actual letter in the traditional letter-writing format. These pages could also be utilized for a writing center at a later time in the school year. Pages with primary dotted writing lines and regular writing lines are provided to meet the needs of your students.
You might also like: