Want a meaningful extension activity after reading aloud A Letter From Your Teacher: On the Last Day of School by Shannon Olsen? This book companion will provide students with a special keepsake to take home with them at the end of the year.
It contains templates for a mailbox, student postcards, and a teacher letter. Students create and decorate their own mailbox (they can color the templates and cut them out, and simply glue them onto a paper lunch bag or other container of choice).
You can also give each student a class set of postcards (put them in a stapled packet and have them cut out the cards once their writing is complete). Students can write a short message on the back to each classmate, with a similar sentiment to what they might write when signing a yearbook.
Have everyone pass out their cards to put in each other’s mailboxes on the last day of school. When saying good-bye, students can take home their mailbox with all the cards from their classmates as a keepsake.
You might choose to include a teacher letter from you to put in their mailboxes too. Templates are provided in both black & white or color (the black and white template works great for printing on color paper). Options are included for either typing the letter or writing it by hand.
Please see the preview for visuals of the entire resource. The download includes:
- Detailed guidelines, tips, and ideas for the teacher
- Mailbox templates to fit a paper lunch bag or standard-sized shoe box
- Mini mailbox templates to fit a smaller container, such as a small gift bag
- Multiple printing options to meet the writing needs of your class (no writing lines, single-spaced lines, double-spaced lines, and cards with sentence frames)
- A paper-saving option with more cards per page
- Teacher letter template in black & white or color (for hand writing)
- Teacher letter template in black & white or color (for typing)
You might also like these other activities to go with books by Shannon Olsen:
And these additional resources for the end of the school year: